It’s darn cold outside where we live and the hours of sunlight are limited (along with the fact that the skies seem like they’ve been gray forever!). We’re not completely unconscious to the fact that we’re likely using more energy for heating and lighting, as well as taking more hot baths to soak away that chilled-to-the-bone feeling. We consider that our household is already fairly energy-efficient and eco-friendly, but there are surely ways we could improve.
So, for February’s Monthly Impact Challenge*:
- Present your ideas on how we can better Green Our Home (submit as comments below), e.g., looking at what kinds of things you’ve done is a good place to start.
- Submit as many energy-saving and eco-friendly tips as you like (as often as you like), but please keep them small, simple and do-able, i.e. while we’d love to install solar panels on the roof of our apartment building, that’s just not going to happen — at least not this month.
- Each tip will be counted only once, and credited to the first person submitting, i.e., so, if you already see a particular tip posted, don’t submit it again, you won’t get credit for it.
- The winner will be the person who provides us with the maximum number of energy-saving or eco-friendly household tips that we implement and/or incorporate into our daily lives.
- The Impact Challenge closes on February 28th at 6 PM, Eastern Standard Time.
- We’ll then start counting up all the tip submissions that we’re actually using and determine who provided us with the most number.
- The winner will be determined by us (Nils and Corinne) and announced during the first week of March (the exact date depends on how many submissions we receive, how many tips we will be using and what we have going on in our life at that moment).
Our Week 5 (starting today, Feb 1 – 7) Impact Event kicks off the MIC and follows this theme: we’ll begin to look into what we can do to better Green Our Home. Help us get started with your suggestions and work toward winning the February MIC.
The Prize! Oh right, I almost forgot: This month, there’s an added incentive. If you’re the winner of “Green Our Home,” along with being able to tell all your friends and family that you were the “52 Weeks of Impact February Monthly Impact Challenge Champ” (that’s a mouthful, eh?), having your name (or login name) listed here in BIG BOLD LETTERS, you’ll also receive a packet of three lovely greeting cards from StartSmall, a not-for-profit company with a “unique range of products … hand made by skilled Kenyan artisans.” The cards are made from wire, beads and/or recycled tins (cans) … and they really are cool! (interior is blank so can be used for all occasions). Full disclosure: I bought several of these cards at a market in London. I love them and think it’s a good cause to support, so I’m sharing them.
So, Quick! Submit your tips as a comment below. Be the first! Be the winner!
* What’s a Monthly Impact Challenge: Every month we pose a challenge (e.g., to collect and deliver as many canned goods as possible to your local food bank, or perform random acts of kindness). Everyone can participate and the First Place “Monthly Impact Champ” will be featured and announced on this blog! (woo hoo!)